Can you imagine kissing a frog and instead of the frog turning into Prince Charming it turns into a female frog?A commonly used pesticide is doing just this. Male frogs exposed to it are turning into female frogs that can even lay eggs!! It must have some powerful estrogenic effect!!
Chemicals like this and others that are found in 80% of skin creams (parabens: methylparaben, ethylparaben, phthalates: DEHP, DEP). These chemicals are added to prevent bacterial growth, and worse, from developing inside the bottle. I call them “Gender Benders” because they drastically increase estrogen levels in humans and animals.As breast cancer awareness month is here again, we all have a duty to educate others and share this information. I am well AWARE that women, and men, are getting breast cancer. Why not put more muscle into education for prevention?!What you put on your skin you are essentially “eating” because pores in our largest organ (the skin) absorb it inside.I highly suggest you read all labels on your personal care items. For every chemical, there is one or more ingredients from nature that can do the same job. This is just one more thing that sets us apart from the other 'natural' skin care lines.Sign up here for my newsletters so you can learn HOW to read them (so many words you will not recognize nor understand):
- The chemical pesticide I am referring to is Atrazine, made by Syngenta chemical company. This pesticide is showing up in foods, especially those grown in the soil, and even our drinking water, and was banned in the EU in 2003.
AMG Naturally’s Daily Moisturizer now has a new look, a new label and a few new awesome therapeutic ingredients. It is now called Morning Glory Moisturizer. We are especially proud of the addition of MegaNatural Gold grape seed extract from the California wine country.
Grape Seed Extract is the highlight of many peer reviewed studies, all with positive results on human health and skin. Knowing this, we also added this natural polyphenol -loaded extract to our Better Body Butter – all over body lotion. We promise to keep our commitment to Naturally Green. Naturally Clean.
There is new research suggesting Grape Seed Extract shows promise for skin cancer!
Grape Seed Extract SKIN BENEFITS:
- Multiple effects on the skin including antioxidant properties (radical scavenger)
- Anti-aging properties
- Makes the skin look visibly younger, stronger, and less fragile
- Has toning and restorative effects
- Suitable for those with sensitive and irritated skin
- Has the ability to reduce eczema, psoriasis, broken blood vessels and other common unsightly skin conditions
- Skin cancer prevention
- Age spot prevention
- Safe to use on children and pregnant women
- Clinically researched
- U.C. Davis-associated
- By investing heavily in research that identifies and “captures” the molecular structures within grape seed shown to provide specific health benefits, Polyphenolics has developed a grape seed extract that is structurally unique, providing 90-95% total polyphenols — the biologically active constituents.
- Improved bioavailability
- Because MegaNatural®-BP is selectively extracted to include a higher percentage of lower molecular weight polyphenols, it has improved bioavailability and greater absorption compared to other grape seed extracts.
- As a division of Constellation Brands, Polyphenolics has access to an abundant supply of quality U.S.-grown grapes and maintains total control over the entire manufacturing process, from raw material procurement to final extraction.
- Environmentally friendly
- The relationship between Polyphenolics and its parent company results in a uniquely sustainable model of agriculture wherein all parts of the grape are utilized. The grape juice is used to make wine, the unfermented grape seeds are used to manufacture MegaNatural®-BP and the grape skin and pulp provide the raw materials for producing MegaNatural® GSKE Grape Pomace Extract.
- Non-toxic, Non-clastogenic
- MegaNatural®-BP has been the subject of two published safety studies: a three-month oral toxicity study in rats and a high-dose clastogenic study in mice (clastogens are substances that cause damage to chromosomes). MegaNatural®-BP was shown to be non-toxic and non-clastogenic.
- GRAS (generally recognized as safe)
- After submitting the above safety studies to FDA, MegaNatural®-BP received No-Objection GRAS status, making it safe for use in foods, medical foods and beverages, in addition to dietary supplements.
- Every lot of MegaNatural®-BP is rigorously tested for heavy metals, pesticides and microbiological contaminants to ensure purity and safety.
- MegaNatural®-BP is manufactured through a patented hot-water-based extraction process, without any traces of toxic chemicals or solvents in the final ingredient.
- 100% water-soluble
- MegaNatural®-BP is 100% water-soluble, so it can be easily added to functional beverages without dissipating out of solution.
- Highly consistent
- The consistency of every batch of MegaNatural®-BP is verified through specialized HPLC testing, the accepted protocol for measuring polyphenol profiles. Consistent activity guarantees consistent results.
Being a registered dietitian, I believe in superfoods for SUPER skin!
I have found some great studies that support the inclusion of these three ingredients into your anti-aging skin regimen.
- Collagen – naturally produced by the skin, if the necessary protein, vitamins, and minerals are available, to keep the skin taught and youthful looking. Production of collagen begins to decline between 20-30 years of age.
- Thai ginseng – this priceless plant prevents wrinkle formation, skin atrophy and loss of elasticity. Researchers say that skin aging is mainly due to reduction of energy production in skin cells which happens inside skin mitochondria. If skin cells cannot produce energy because they are exposed to excessive free radicals, also known as oxidative stress, they will die. Research has shown this plant to correct all of this. (Thai ginseng so skin cells don’t die) .
- Cucumber extract – nature’s best ingredient for puffy eyes; naturally containing vitamin C (skin’s favorite antioxidant) and caffeic acid (polyphenol with powerful antioxidant activity).
Bedtime Beauty Repair contains these three superstars along with superfoods; Moringa oleifera and Sacha inchi. Click here to check it out
AMG Naturally's skincare formulas, which are Naturally green. Naturally clean. are designed to help you stop SKINtoxing while helping you Age More Gracefully.
by Linda Lizotte, R.D.
As a nutritionist, I naturally have a dedication to education. The key to getting people healthy is empowering them with knowledge. Knowledge allows us to make better purchasing decisions. And as I always say, “your dollar is your vote”. I have been teaching people how to read food labels for the past 25 years. My goal with the AMG Naturally Newsletter is to teach you how to read and scrutinize cosmetic and beauty product labels to the same extent that you do food labels, for the safety of you and your family.
I continue to be baffled and disappointed by all the chemicals inside the beautiful jars of anti-aging products. Everything you put on your skin “does matter”, as it all gets absorbed. Unless you are using natural, chemical free products like those made by AMG Naturally, the more products you use daily to be beautiful, the greater at risk you are. Risk of what? Cancer, hormone problems, birth defects in offspring and much more.
Don’t we all desire medical grade results from over- the-counter products and expect them to be safe too? AMG Naturally endorses the philosophy that all the ingredients in our skin care products should be natural and safe to use on a regular basis - not to mention - effective. There is no need to use synthetic preservatives or synthetic fragrances, when nature provides so many. What is the point of mixing these toxic chemicals with healthy ones? So, which ingredients are toxic?
For this newsletter, I chose to review the ingredient list of an actual product, as always, called Advanced Face Firming Activator, with known toxins highlighted in red:
Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Thioctic Acid (Alpha Lipoic Acid), Dimethyl MEA (DMAE), Isopropyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine (TEA), Hydroxylated Lecithin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Urea, Glycosaminoglycans, Ceteareth-20, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Bisabolol, Zinc Sulfate, Parfum (Fragrance),Dimethicone, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Pyridoxine HCl, Citric Acid, Pantethine, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Gluconate, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, BHT, Tocotrienols, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopherol, Copper Gluconate.
Just like food labels, cosmetic ingredients are listed from ascending to descending order from highest content to least amount contained within.
The maker of this product promises to rejuvenate wrinkling or sagging skin in aging women.
A Skin Deep report by the Environmental Working Group, says at least 7 of 26 of the products by this company, with a well-known founder, were found to contain nanoparticles, while a total of 25 contain a wide range of other toxic ingredients. These include carcinogens such as acrylamide, and carcinogenic contaminants such as ethylene oxide, dioxane, nitrosamines and acrylamide, and formaldehyde. They also include allergens, and toxic hormonal ingredients. Accordingly, the Environmental Working Group rated 25 of their products as posing "moderate to high hazards”.
Let’s take a look at research on the first 3 highlighted ingredients above.
1. DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol). While it is supposed to firm up the skin to prevent lines and wrinkles, it comes with a host of alarming side effects. While DMAE may improve the look and feel of your skin, it’s safety is debatable. DMAE is also used industrially as a curing agent for polyurethanes and epoxy resins. That does not sound like something you would want on your skin RIGHT?
Below are common warnings about DMAE oral supplementation…
Taking more than the recommended amount can cause DMAE side effects like:
· Muscle tension
People with schizophrenia, epilepsy, and manic depression should not take DMAE supplements.
As the well-known nutritionist and speaker, Robert Crayhon used to say, “Just because something works, doesn't mean it’s the best way to do it.”
After a quick check of the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), it becomes apparent that DMAE is not something you want to be rubbing on your face. Below is an excerpt from the MSDS on DMAE:
Potential health effects:
Eyes: Corrosive to eyes. Contact with eyes may cause blindness.
Skin: Harmful if absorbed through the skin; corrosive to skin.
Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled; corrosive to mucous membrane. Inhalation causes severe damage to the upper respiratory tract.
Chronic Exposure: This chemical may stimulate the central nervous system, possibly resulting in restlessness, coordination, tremors and convulsions.
Warning! Harmful if absorbed through the skin…I thought this was supposed to be good for your skin. This is another prime example of the FDA’s failing to regulate the cosmetic industry to keep the public safe. This seems to be the “ignored and forgotten” industry.
Click here for MSDS on DMAE:
2. Ceteareth-20 is another toxin commonly included in cosmetic products that we encourage people to avoid. Ceteareth-20 is a penetration enhancer, it alters the structure of your skin to allow substances to penetrate deeper into your skin. Definitely not something you want in a product already filled with toxins. Although this isn’t the only reason we recommend avoiding it. It is made from cetearyl alcohol which is a mixture of cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol and ethylene oxide (a carcinogen). There is a good possibility if your product contains Ceteareth-20 it is contaminated with ethylene oxide and 1,2-dioxane (another carcinogen). Even at low doses, it causes skin irritation, predominantly around the eyes, mouth, and lips.
The combination of potential carcinogen contamination and penetration enhancement, place Ceteareth-20 on the top of our list of chemicals to KEEP OFF your skin, especially if it is irritated or damaged already.
3. Phenoxyethanol is a glycol ether, commonly used in cosmetics and other personal care products as a preservative. Studies have shown that Phenoxyethanol can be an extreme irritant to the eyes and skin, and can even cause blistering; it is hazardous in the case of ingestion and inhalation as well. The Cosmetic Database rates it as a moderate hazard and notes cancer, allergic reactions, skin, eye and lung irritation, organ and neurotoxicity as possible effects of using products containing Phenoxyethanol. It has shown effects on sensory organs even at low doses, and brain and nervous systems at moderate doses in animals, and causes cell mutation. Moderate hazard? Hmm. THE CIR expert panel says it is safe if diluted properly. I say, why use it at all if you can do the same thing in a natural way?
According to research, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) data sheets show “chromosomal changes and genetic mutation effects in testing as well as testicular atrophy and reproductive damage in mice.” I would bet most men would say NO THANK YOU to this.
4. Once again, we see synthetic fragrance in a product. Out of all the toxins we research “fragrance” shows up the most in personal care products. It also is one of the most hazardous ingredients you can put on your skin. Quite simply, this is because we do not know what is in it. It is a “mysterious concoction” of chemicals some toxic, some safe, but we can never be sure which. With side effects ranging from skin irritation to cancer, synthetic fragrances are TO BE AVOIDED FOR SAFETY REASONS. For more information on this, CLICK HERE, to go to our previous blog that does an in depth explanation of the dangers of synthetic fragrances.
Get to the cause of sagging/wrinkling skin by providing nutrients that increase the production of collagen and elastin naturally. Collagen and elastin are key to keeping the skin firm and tight. Production of these proteins decline as we AGE. Sulfur is needed to make collagen. Sulfur is often lacking in our diets.
A common cause of wrinkles is oxidation by free radicals which can be easily quenched by antioxidants. The 4 top nutrients used in AMG products that do this naturally are MSM (methylsulfonyl methane), Lipoic Acid, Retinol and Fulvic Acid. Radiation from the sun causes free radicals AND destroys collagen….it contributes to BOTH of the top reasons for making the skin look older.
Benefits of each:
- MSM – increases production of collagen and elastin, provides sulfur. MSM has been shown in research to improve ROSACEA
- Lipoic acid – this is a sulfur containing antioxidant so it has a dual role in improving the health of the skin
- Retinol – a form of vitamin A that has proven benefits for improving/reducing wrinkles and fine lines
- Fulvic acid – considered a plant, comes from the soil, loaded with minerals and increases the production of collagen. It is considered to be the highest containing mineral source of all plants
MSM is a key ingredient in AMG Naturally’s Daily Moisturizer, Night Moisturizerand Eye Serum. Not only does MSM make the skin tighter and younger, yielding a younger appearance, it also helps drive antioxidants, also in these creams, deep into the skin. Antioxidants attack free radicals which are known to cause wrinkles and sagging skin. MSM has been studied for rosacea, and the results concluded that when used topically, it greatly improves this tough skin condition.
As a practicing nutritionist for over 15 years, I have successfully treated thousands of clients with a wide range of health issues. I am the founder of the #1 nutraceutical company in the country. Realizing that what we rub on our skin DOES matter, because we are what we absorb, I saw the need for anti-aging skin products that don't just say they are natural, but actually ARE natural. I now have developed a line of personal care products. My products contain no synthetic chemicals and are derived from all-natural plant sources making them unique to the beautyceutical industry. We at AMG Naturally Inc. believe “We are what we absorb.” Why not get healthy, stay healthy, and age more gracefully?
Linda Lizotte, R.D.
Want to know how? See what others are saying by clicking here.
By Linda Lizotte, R.D.
LED lights are taking over. They are cheap. They last forever. This is good right? Personally, I prefer to have a choice because I am not a fan of TOXIC metal exposure. These lights, soon to be the only lights available, may be contributing to humans not living as long as they would like.
What do I mean? A study was just published that found prolonged exposure to these lights are very damaging to our eyes: rods, cones, and retina via increased levels of free radicals called ROS (reactive oxygen species). This may increase the risk of developing macular degeneration. Tissues become more susceptible to ROS damage as we age.
These highly touted light bulbs are also known to contain substantial amounts of toxic metals including aluminum, copper, gold, lead, and silver.
Try not to turn on many lights at night because another study showed these lights suppress melatonin production that is needed to help us wind down and feel sleepy. Disruption of the body's circadian rhythm, an important function of melatonin, is associated with increased incidence of diabetes, obesity, heart disease, cognitive impairment, premature aging and some types of cancer.
Remember when there was a concern with BREAKING incandescent bulbs? The dangerous mercury fumes of broken compact fluorescent light bulbs scared many consumers away from these corkscrew-shaped bulbs. What happens if consumers break an LED bulb? Those in the room are exposed to lead and aluminum.AMG Naturally is dedicated to education and keeping people informed because we all want to Age More Gracefully.
by Linda Lizotte, R.D., Nutritionist
One would think sea buckthorn gets its name from growing in the ocean, however, it actually received its name from growing on shrubs along coastal waterways, often in difficult climates. From my experience in prescribing herbs for health conditions, I can tell you that plants that grow tough in hardy conditions offer hardy health benefits. This amazing superfood plant, packed with over 190 nutrients and phytonutrients is just one superfood moisturizer used in the AMG Naturally skin care line.
The berries are about the size of a blueberry and have been used for centuries around the world. The yellow-orange color tells you there is beta carotene (also found in carrots), other carotenoids, and of course vitamin C, like most super fruits.
It is renowned in Ayurvedic medicine as far back as 5,000 BC. Not too long ago, Sea buckthorn appeared on the Dr. Oz show due to its “miracle” acne cures. What I love about the oil from this berry is that it is great for acne and so much more.
The uses of the oil of this beautiful berry date back to the ancient Greeks, and has also been used for centuries throughout Asia and Europe due to its many health benefits, particularly its anti-aging properties.
What makes it a superfood is its richness in vitamins, antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavonoids.
What nutrients are found in Sea buckthorn?
• Beta-carotene (converts into vitamin A, and has 3 x more than carrots)
• Tocotrienols (from the vitamin E family)
• Tocopherols (also part of the vitamin E family)
• Vitamin C (12 times more vitamin C than an orange)
Skin loving minerals for collagen production and wrinkles are also found in Sea buckthorn:
Another amazing fact about Sea buckthorn is that this plant contains not only omega 6 skin loving fatty acids, but also the trio of Omega-3, 6, 7 and 9. Sacha inchi oil is equally impressive (highest containing omega 3 plant found in nature), but imagine when they are added together in an anti-aging skin cream.
How Sea buckthorn is good for your skin:
Sea Buckthorn has been thoroughly researched in over 130 modern scientific studies all concluding that this unique berry carries an array of health and skin benefits. The oil is said to have proven effective in the treatment of difficult skin conditions including burns, skin ulcers, skin cancer, acne and dermatitis of various forms. Research has shown that the oil from these berries contain more than 190 biologically active compounds that can nourish the body’s cells and protect the skin from free radical damage, while slowing down the body’s natural aging process, both internally and externally.
Skin conditions that can benefit from Sea buckthorn:
- Psoriasis – Due to its highly anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties it works wonders for those who suffer from psoriasis. It has even been said to work as good as prescribed topical steroids without the negative side effects.
- Rosacea – Sea buckthorn is nutritionally dense with high concentrations of Vitamins A, C, and E, which make it a great candidate to treat rosacea to help heal the skin.
- Burns – Palmitoleic acid (Omega-7) is a key component to your skin’s health. It’s actually a component of skin. Replacing Omega-7 quickly may help speed up the healing process in treating burn wounds.
- Acne – Sea buckthorn is rich in essential omega-3 and omega-7 fatty acids, which help heal the skin around acne that causes inflammation. This allows your skin to fight the causes of acne more effectively with a natural approach.
- Wrinkles – Sea buckthorn is remarkably dense with Vitamin C and a number of antioxidants that promote cellular health and skin repair. It promotes skin hydration, increases elasticity, and skin regeneration.
- General Skin Health – The oil from the berries have an overall healing and rejuvenating effect on the skin, which makes it a must-have ingredient in your daily skin care regimen.
- Wounds – Studies show that the flavonoids found in sea buckthorn oil, help facilitate the healing of wounds.
AMG’s Daily Moisturizer is packed with Sea buckthorn and much more superfoods such as Moringa and Sacha inchi. See the improvements in your skin for yourself! Whether you are combating eczema, psoriasis, acne, wrinkles or fine lines, AMG Naturally is the best solution to get your skin looking perfect again! Consume superfoods inside AND out!!