As a nutritionist, I firmly believe in the health benefits of regular sun exposure including its ability to increase vitamin D production via the skin. Adequate internal vitamin D levels are associated with numerous health benefits and longevity.
Just 6% of your body being exposed to 20 minutes of sun a day will help your body to PRODUCE, through the skin, healthy amounts of vitamin D.
Avoid these ingredients found on the product labels such as: (MEA) Monoethanolamine, (TEA) Triethanolamine, and (DEA) Diethanolamine.
To learn more about other harmful ingredients in skin care products besides sunscreen, go to www.AMGnaturally.com to protect yourself and become more educated by reading our frequently updated articles on our blog.
TOXIC & UNSAFE CHEMICALS IN SUNSCREENS:
- Photoallergic reactions
- Restricted from use in cosmetics in Japan
- Increase in the production of harmful free radicals and an ability to attack DNA cells
- Linked to contact eczema
- Endocrine disruptor: Behaves similarly to the hormone estrogen, suggesting that it may cause breast cancer
- Wild life and environmental destruction
- Organ system toxicity
- Linked to toxicity in humans
- Reproductive and developmental toxicity
- Linked to water contamination
- Toxicity to aquatic organisms
- Has an alcohol base, which allows for deeper epidermal penetration of the sunscreen, which then gives open access for penetration into the blood stream
DioxybenzoneOne of the most powerful DNA-altering free radical generators ever formulated in a laboratoryFree radicals cause:
- Skin ageing
- Breakdown of collagen and elastin
- Known to be mutagenic (cancer-causing)
- Researchers found significant amounts of this toxin excreted through urine, systemically showing that it is definitely penetrating the skin & getting absorbed
- Known to produce free radicals
- Damages DNA
- Known to be mutagenic (cancer causing)
- Endocrine disruptor
- Organ system toxicity
- Sunlight breaks down this chemical into harmful bi-products
- Environmental toxin
- Restricted from cosmetic use in Japan
- Produces damaging reactive oxygen when exposed to sunlight
- Environmental toxin
- Prolonged or repeated use may cause skin or eye irritation
- May cause allergic skin reactions
- Interferes with cellular signaling which may lead to mutations and cell death
- Implicated in cardiovascular disease
- Restricted from use in cosmetics in Japan
- Used in 90% of sunscreens and can turn extremely toxic when exposed to sunlight (photoallergic)
- Has estrogenic effect
- Endocrine disruptor
- Widely used as preservatives in cosmetics and the food industry
- Parabens are basically “plastic” and are often sprayed onto fruits and vegetables to decrease their spoilage time
- Parabens have been linked to breast cancer (mimic estrogen)
- Endocrine disruptors
- Imagine a baby being born with “hypospadias”- malformation of the opening of the male genital, attributed to paraben use
- Ultrafine, submicroscopic materials, which are insoluble (cannot be dissolved)
- React more negatively in the body and the environment than the same material that is non-nano
- Zinc oxide nanoparticles are known to cause developmental disorders in sea life (even in very low concentrations)
- Harmful to humans and the environment
For a skin safe and environmentally friendly alternative, try our Nature's Sun Secret
Can you imagine kissing a frog and instead of the frog turning into Prince Charming it turns into a female frog?A commonly used pesticide is doing just this. Male frogs exposed to it are turning into female frogs that can even lay eggs!! It must have some powerful estrogenic effect!!
Chemicals like this and others that are found in 80% of skin creams (parabens: methylparaben, ethylparaben, phthalates: DEHP, DEP). These chemicals are added to prevent bacterial growth, and worse, from developing inside the bottle. I call them “Gender Benders” because they drastically increase estrogen levels in humans and animals.As breast cancer awareness month is here again, we all have a duty to educate others and share this information. I am well AWARE that women, and men, are getting breast cancer. Why not put more muscle into education for prevention?!What you put on your skin you are essentially “eating” because pores in our largest organ (the skin) absorb it inside.I highly suggest you read all labels on your personal care items. For every chemical, there is one or more ingredients from nature that can do the same job. This is just one more thing that sets us apart from the other 'natural' skin care lines.Sign up here for my newsletters so you can learn HOW to read them (so many words you will not recognize nor understand):
- The chemical pesticide I am referring to is Atrazine, made by Syngenta chemical company. This pesticide is showing up in foods, especially those grown in the soil, and even our drinking water, and was banned in the EU in 2003.
AMG Naturally’s Morning Glory Moisturizer now includes grape seed extract from the California wine country.
Grape Seed Extract is the highlight of many peer reviewed studies, all with positive results on human health and skin. Knowing this, we also added this natural polyphenol -loaded extract to our Better Body Butter – all over body lotion. We promise to keep our commitment to Naturally Green. Naturally Clean.
There is new research suggesting Grape Seed Extract shows promise for skin cancer!
Grape Seed Extract SKIN BENEFITS:
- Multiple effects on the skin including antioxidant properties (radical scavenger)
- Anti-aging properties
- Makes the skin look visibly younger, stronger, and less fragile
- Has toning and restorative effects
- Suitable for those with sensitive and irritated skin
- Has the ability to reduce eczema, psoriasis, broken blood vessels and other common unsightly skin conditions
- Skin cancer prevention
- Age spot prevention
- Safe to use on children and pregnant women
- By investing heavily in research that identifies and “captures” the molecular structures within grape seed shown to provide specific health benefits, Polyphenolics has developed a grape seed extract that is structurally unique, providing 90-95% total polyphenols — the biologically active constituents.
- Improved bioavailability
- Our grape seed extract is selectively extracted to include a higher percentage of lower molecular weight polyphenols, it has improved bioavailability and greater absorption compared to other grape seed extracts.
- Environmentally Friendly
- Non-toxic, Non-clastogenic
- GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe)
- Our grape seed extract is manufactured through a patented hot-water-based extraction process, without any traces of toxic chemicals or solvents in the final ingredient.
- 100% water-soluble
- Highly consistent
- The consistency of every batch of is verified through specialized HPLC testing, the accepted protocol for measuring polyphenol profiles. Consistent activity guarantees consistent results.
Being a registered dietitian, I believe in superfoods for SUPER skin!
I have found some great studies that support the inclusion of these three ingredients into your anti-aging skin regimen.
- Collagen – naturally produced by the skin, if the necessary protein, vitamins, and minerals are available, to keep the skin taught and youthful looking. Production of collagen begins to decline between 20-30 years of age.
- Thai ginseng – this priceless plant prevents wrinkle formation, skin atrophy and loss of elasticity. Researchers say that skin aging is mainly due to reduction of energy production in skin cells which happens inside skin mitochondria. If skin cells cannot produce energy because they are exposed to excessive free radicals, also known as oxidative stress, they will die. Research has shown this plant to correct all of this. (Thai ginseng so skin cells don’t die) .
- Cucumber extract – nature’s best ingredient for puffy eyes; naturally containing vitamin C (skin’s favorite antioxidant) and caffeic acid (polyphenol with powerful antioxidant activity).
Bedtime Beauty Repair contains these three superstars along with superfoods; Moringa oleifera and Sacha inchi. Click here to check it out
AMG Naturally's skincare formulas, which are Naturally green. Naturally clean. are designed to help you stop SKINtoxing while helping you Age More Gracefully.
by Linda Lizotte, R.D.
As a nutritionist, I naturally have a dedication to education. The key to getting people healthy is empowering them with knowledge. Knowledge allows us to make better purchasing decisions. And as I always say, “your dollar is your vote”. I have been teaching people how to read food labels for the past 25 years. My goal with the AMG Naturally Newsletter is to teach you how to read and scrutinize cosmetic and beauty product labels to the same extent that you do food labels, for the safety of you and your family.
I continue to be baffled and disappointed by all the chemicals inside the beautiful jars of anti-aging products. Everything you put on your skin “does matter”, as it all gets absorbed. Unless you are using natural, chemical free products like those made by AMG Naturally, the more products you use daily to be beautiful, the greater at risk you are. Risk of what? Cancer, hormone problems, birth defects in offspring and much more.
Don’t we all desire medical grade results from over- the-counter products and expect them to be safe too? AMG Naturally endorses the philosophy that all the ingredients in our skin care products should be natural and safe to use on a regular basis - not to mention - effective. There is no need to use synthetic preservatives or synthetic fragrances, when nature provides so many. What is the point of mixing these toxic chemicals with healthy ones? So, which ingredients are toxic?
For this newsletter, I chose to review the ingredient list of an actual product, as always, called Advanced Face Firming Activator, with known toxins highlighted in red:
Aqua (Water), Glycolic Acid, L-Tyrosine, Thioctic Acid (Alpha Lipoic Acid), Dimethyl MEA (DMAE), Isopropyl Palmitate, Triethanolamine (TEA), Hydroxylated Lecithin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Camellia Oleifera (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Urea, Glycosaminoglycans, Ceteareth-20, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysorbate 60, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Bisabolol, Zinc Sulfate, Parfum (Fragrance),Dimethicone, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Pyridoxine HCl, Citric Acid, Pantethine, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc Gluconate, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, BHT, Tocotrienols, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopherol, Copper Gluconate.
Just like food labels, cosmetic ingredients are listed from ascending to descending order from highest content to least amount contained within.
The maker of this product promises to rejuvenate wrinkling or sagging skin in aging women.
A Skin Deep report by the Environmental Working Group, says at least 7 of 26 of the products by this company, with a well-known founder, were found to contain nanoparticles, while a total of 25 contain a wide range of other toxic ingredients. These include carcinogens such as acrylamide, and carcinogenic contaminants such as ethylene oxide, dioxane, nitrosamines and acrylamide, and formaldehyde. They also include allergens, and toxic hormonal ingredients. Accordingly, the Environmental Working Group rated 25 of their products as posing "moderate to high hazards”.
Let’s take a look at research on the first 3 highlighted ingredients above.
1. DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol). While it is supposed to firm up the skin to prevent lines and wrinkles, it comes with a host of alarming side effects. While DMAE may improve the look and feel of your skin, it’s safety is debatable. DMAE is also used industrially as a curing agent for polyurethanes and epoxy resins. That does not sound like something you would want on your skin RIGHT?
Below are common warnings about DMAE oral supplementation…
Taking more than the recommended amount can cause DMAE side effects like:
· Muscle tension
People with schizophrenia, epilepsy, and manic depression should not take DMAE supplements.
As the well-known nutritionist and speaker, Robert Crayhon used to say, “Just because something works, doesn't mean it’s the best way to do it.”
After a quick check of the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), it becomes apparent that DMAE is not something you want to be rubbing on your face. Below is an excerpt from the MSDS on DMAE:
Potential health effects:
Eyes: Corrosive to eyes. Contact with eyes may cause blindness.
Skin: Harmful if absorbed through the skin; corrosive to skin.
Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled; corrosive to mucous membrane. Inhalation causes severe damage to the upper respiratory tract.
Chronic Exposure: This chemical may stimulate the central nervous system, possibly resulting in restlessness, coordination, tremors and convulsions.
Warning! Harmful if absorbed through the skin…I thought this was supposed to be good for your skin. This is another prime example of the FDA’s failing to regulate the cosmetic industry to keep the public safe. This seems to be the “ignored and forgotten” industry.
Click here for MSDS on DMAE:
2. Ceteareth-20 is another toxin commonly included in cosmetic products that we encourage people to avoid. Ceteareth-20 is a penetration enhancer, it alters the structure of your skin to allow substances to penetrate deeper into your skin. Definitely not something you want in a product already filled with toxins. Although this isn’t the only reason we recommend avoiding it. It is made from cetearyl alcohol which is a mixture of cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol and ethylene oxide (a carcinogen). There is a good possibility if your product contains Ceteareth-20 it is contaminated with ethylene oxide and 1,2-dioxane (another carcinogen). Even at low doses, it causes skin irritation, predominantly around the eyes, mouth, and lips.
The combination of potential carcinogen contamination and penetration enhancement, place Ceteareth-20 on the top of our list of chemicals to KEEP OFF your skin, especially if it is irritated or damaged already.
3. Phenoxyethanol is a glycol ether, commonly used in cosmetics and other personal care products as a preservative. Studies have shown that Phenoxyethanol can be an extreme irritant to the eyes and skin, and can even cause blistering; it is hazardous in the case of ingestion and inhalation as well. The Cosmetic Database rates it as a moderate hazard and notes cancer, allergic reactions, skin, eye and lung irritation, organ and neurotoxicity as possible effects of using products containing Phenoxyethanol. It has shown effects on sensory organs even at low doses, and brain and nervous systems at moderate doses in animals, and causes cell mutation. Moderate hazard? Hmm. THE CIR expert panel says it is safe if diluted properly. I say, why use it at all if you can do the same thing in a natural way?
According to research, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) data sheets show “chromosomal changes and genetic mutation effects in testing as well as testicular atrophy and reproductive damage in mice.” I would bet most men would say NO THANK YOU to this.
4. Once again, we see synthetic fragrance in a product. Out of all the toxins we research “fragrance” shows up the most in personal care products. It also is one of the most hazardous ingredients you can put on your skin. Quite simply, this is because we do not know what is in it. It is a “mysterious concoction” of chemicals some toxic, some safe, but we can never be sure which. With side effects ranging from skin irritation to cancer, synthetic fragrances are TO BE AVOIDED FOR SAFETY REASONS. For more information on this, CLICK HERE, to go to our previous blog that does an in depth explanation of the dangers of synthetic fragrances.
Get to the cause of sagging/wrinkling skin by providing nutrients that increase the production of collagen and elastin naturally. Collagen and elastin are key to keeping the skin firm and tight. Production of these proteins decline as we AGE. Sulfur is needed to make collagen. Sulfur is often lacking in our diets.
A common cause of wrinkles is oxidation by free radicals which can be easily quenched by antioxidants. The 4 top nutrients used in AMG products that do this naturally are MSM (methylsulfonyl methane), Lipoic Acid, Retinol and Fulvic Acid. Radiation from the sun causes free radicals AND destroys collagen….it contributes to BOTH of the top reasons for making the skin look older.
Benefits of each:
- MSM – increases production of collagen and elastin, provides sulfur. MSM has been shown in research to improve ROSACEA
- Lipoic acid – this is a sulfur containing antioxidant so it has a dual role in improving the health of the skin
- Retinol – a form of vitamin A that has proven benefits for improving/reducing wrinkles and fine lines
- Fulvic acid – considered a plant, comes from the soil, loaded with minerals and increases the production of collagen. It is considered to be the highest containing mineral source of all plants
MSM is a key ingredient in AMG Naturally’s Daily Moisturizer, Night Moisturizerand Eye Serum. Not only does MSM make the skin tighter and younger, yielding a younger appearance, it also helps drive antioxidants, also in these creams, deep into the skin. Antioxidants attack free radicals which are known to cause wrinkles and sagging skin. MSM has been studied for rosacea, and the results concluded that when used topically, it greatly improves this tough skin condition.
As a practicing nutritionist for over 15 years, I have successfully treated thousands of clients with a wide range of health issues. I am the founder of the #1 nutraceutical company in the country. Realizing that what we rub on our skin DOES matter, because we are what we absorb, I saw the need for anti-aging skin products that don't just say they are natural, but actually ARE natural. I now have developed a line of personal care products. My products contain no synthetic chemicals and are derived from all-natural plant sources making them unique to the beautyceutical industry. We at AMG Naturally Inc. believe “We are what we absorb.” Why not get healthy, stay healthy, and age more gracefully?
Linda Lizotte, R.D.
Want to know how? See what others are saying by clicking here.
By Linda Lizotte, R.D.
LED lights are taking over. They are cheap. They last forever. This is good right? Personally, I prefer to have a choice because I am not a fan of TOXIC metal exposure. These lights, soon to be the only lights available, may be contributing to humans not living as long as they would like.
What do I mean? A study was just published that found prolonged exposure to these lights are very damaging to our eyes: rods, cones, and retina via increased levels of free radicals called ROS (reactive oxygen species). This may increase the risk of developing macular degeneration. Tissues become more susceptible to ROS damage as we age.
These highly touted light bulbs are also known to contain substantial amounts of toxic metals including aluminum, copper, gold, lead, and silver.
Try not to turn on many lights at night because another study showed these lights suppress melatonin production that is needed to help us wind down and feel sleepy. Disruption of the body's circadian rhythm, an important function of melatonin, is associated with increased incidence of diabetes, obesity, heart disease, cognitive impairment, premature aging and some types of cancer.
Remember when there was a concern with BREAKING incandescent bulbs? The dangerous mercury fumes of broken compact fluorescent light bulbs scared many consumers away from these corkscrew-shaped bulbs. What happens if consumers break an LED bulb? Those in the room are exposed to lead and aluminum.AMG Naturally is dedicated to education and keeping people informed because we all want to Age More Gracefully.